[Dixielandjazz] [Norton AntiSpam]Re: Wynton Marsalis-Not quite OKOM

Louis Lince louislince at neworleansmusic.demon.co.uk
Sat Dec 20 08:54:46 PST 2014

Hi Marek,

I'm sorry if I rattled your cage. My view (for what it's worth) is that music (of all genres from Classical to Folk) has evolved. I do not like Frank Sinatra and similar singers - but they evolved over their lifetimes. The music that Benny Goodman played in his later years was very different to that of his youth. I do not like a lot of the music of Freddie Hubbard, John Coltrane & Miles Davis, but I defend the right of others to like and enjoy it.

To put it bluntly, Jazz is a broad church with many divisions. Some of which I subscribe to and others which leave me cold. It's a free choice. Hence my exhortation to "loosen up". If you don't like a particular artist or performance that's fine - BUT do not rubbish it - others may well enjoy it.

Here endeth the sermon!

Best wishes, (I think that we're really on the same side!)

Louis