[Dixielandjazz] Wynton Marsalis-Not quite OKOM

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 08:03:16 PST 2014

Without going into the question of liking ir not liking the performance, I
take exception to your "loosen up" suggestion.

What you re saying is that those who reject the so-called "modern jazz" are
just tied in the boundaries of some concept or another.  In other words -
you disdain other peopes' ears!
I have had the misfortune to hear them all - Freddie Hubbard, John
Coltrane, Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Wayne Shorter and even Courtney
Pine - and artillery shelling and air raids..  And have found the latter as
pleasant.  Listning to Gene Ammons' "The Jazz Avant Garde of the 40's" did
a lot to convince me that thare was more than a grain of truth in nother
concept - "the avant garde is the refuge of the untalented."
I also diagree with the concept that "the music is ... evolving."  The
concept of evolution in art would suggest that the Middle Ages constituted
progress over the classical Greek and Roman culture.
"The music" rather than "music" insinuates that "modern jazz," perhaps also
- "free jazz" - have evloved from jazz.  And my use of "insinuates" does
not stem from my being a foreign speaker, but from my staunch belief that
it is nothing else but an insinuation.
Unfortunately, I heard Miles and Brubeck and Gene Ammons before I ever
heard the name, let alone - the music - of Wild Bill Davison.  I listened
to them all before finally separating the grain from the chaff, and I am
not going back to chaff!
Cheers

It's great - I wish that some folk would loosen up and accept that the