[Dixielandjazz] Trad Jazz musicians' home burns in Junction Fire

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Wed Aug 20 21:57:39 PDT 2014

I'm sorry to report that the home of Pat Mierkey and his wife Mary, near
Oakhurst, CA, has burned to the ground in the Junction Fire. Their son,
James Mierkey, and daughter-in-law, Jennifer Piccolotti, also resided in
this home. Pat is trombonist with the Yosemitie Jazz Band; James is their
pianist, and Jennifer is vocalist with the band.

The fire jumped Hwy 49 near their home, and moved quickly. With two large
propane tanks, firefighters got them out immediately - but with only the
clothes on their backs. They lost many musical instruments, James' music
studio, computers with songs and art work he has been working on -- and
everything else they owned. It's all gone.

Among other things, to keep their Band in operation, they're in need of a
good trombone, a keyboard (hopefully a Yamaha P-105), and a portable sound
system. Any other donations would also be welcome. I don't yet have word of
a mechanism to help them, but I'm working on that. I'll keep you all posted.

Please think about what you might be able to do to help our fellow Trad Jazz
musicians.

Thanks,

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA