[Dixielandjazz] Phil Mason R.I.P.

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Tue Aug 19 03:54:16 PDT 2014

Sad to hear that another musician has departed this world.

I remember the first time I heard Phil Mason. I was playing intermissions at Earthquake Magoons, Turk Murphy’s nightclub in SF. Turk was either off on tour, or had the night off – I don’t remember. Max Collie’s Rhythm Aces played that night. They had just flown in to SF and the Magoons gig was their first in America.

I was completely blown away by the power and enthusiasm of the band. Up until then I had never heard a band like that in person.

They were powerful, raw and gutsy. I immediately made some phone calls back east and got them a couple gigs.

On subsequent tours of the U.S. I got them hired for a concert, maybe two, at a joint I was working in Sacramento.

R.I.P. Phil.

-Bob Ringwald K6YBV
www.ringwald.com
916/ 806-9551

“Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you.”
- Winston Churchill