[Dixielandjazz] Lorenzo Tio in NY 1923-24

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Aug 6 17:04:07 PDT 2014

 Ulf Jagfors wrote:
> I received this request from one of my jazz friends here in Stockholm.
> Perhaps somebody out there can share some more info
   regarding
> ...in respect of the following: onJuly 30, 1923, Chas. A Matson's Creole Serenaders recorded Tain 't Nobody's
> business If I Do (mx9104-A) and I Just Want A Daddy (mx 9105-B)...Edison 51222 and 51224 respectively.
> ...I am convinced that the clarinetist is Lorenzo Tio. ...Pirons band played in New York in the spring of 1923, and returned to N.O in the fall of 1923.  I have seen information that Tio did not join the band back to New Orleans but stayed in New York. That has always confused me because he can be heard with Pirons in "Red Man Blues" recorded in N.O.
> Nils-Gunnar Anderby, jazz historian and record collector

Dear Ulf (and Nils),
Many, many years ago, trumpet player Geoff Bull proposed the same theory to me.
That the Charles Matson band on Edison was in fact the Armond J Piron band.
I agreed then (and still do) as it certainly sounds like it.
Piron was in New York at the time the Matson sides were recorded on 30 July 1923.
And I recall from somewhere that Matson managed the Piron band while it was in New York.
There was also a long association between Piron and Clarence Williams, and Clarence Williams and Matson.
However, some sources say Tio stayed in New York when the Piron band returned to New Orleans in February-March 1924, before returning (late 20s?) to live in New York, where he died in 1933.
Others suggest Tio did not return with the Piron band at that time and stayed in New York.
I have not been able to confirm this either way.
However, so far as "Red Man Blues" is concerned, Brian Rust's ' Jazz Records' discography, the Azure CD and other discography sources say John Lindsay, Ysaquirre omitted, unknown cl replaces Tio for "Red Man Blues/ Do As I Say", recorded for Victor 19646 by the Piron band in New Orleans on 25 March 1925.
Where did this information come from? I can't find its source.
If it is not Tio, then who is it?
It's a great side, yet a clarinettist has never been named, that I can find.
Was is simply assumed that it could not be Tio as he was, allegedly, in New York by this time?
Very kind regards,
Bill.