[Dixielandjazz] Lorenzo Tio in NY 1923-24

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Aug 10 13:43:54 PDT 2014

Dear Ulf and Listmates,
Further to the discussion regarding Lorenzo Tio Jr, his move to New York and the suggestion in discographies that he is not the clarinet player on the Piron Orchestra's Victor recording date on 25 March 1925 in New Orleans that gave us the wonderful "Red Man Blues" and "Do As I Say", I contacted my longtime mate Barry Wratten.
Barry is one of Australia's best jazz clarinettists and has a special interest and firsthand knowledge of the music of New Orleans and its pioneers.
Here is his succinct reply:

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the note.
It seems we've had this discussion before, a long time ago
As an "Albert System" clarinettist who's listened to all the early New Orleans Jazz Clarinetists, black, white & "Hi Yella", that's Tio on "Red Man Blues" & "Do As I say".
It don't take too long for a train to get to New Orleans from New York & back again.
There are numerous reasons why Tio may have made a trip "home" & back again.
Thanks,
Cheers,
baz

Well that's unequivocal enough for me.