[Dixielandjazz] Lorenzo Tio in NY 1923-24

Ulf Jagfors ulf.jagfors at telia.com
Tue Aug 5 13:51:18 PDT 2014

I received this request from one of my jazz friends here in Stockholm.
Perhaps somebody out there can share some more info

Ulf

Translated by MS from Swedish

I was wondering what views you have (if any) in respect of the following: on
July 30, 1923, Chas. A Matson's Creole Serenaders recorded Tain 't Nobody's
business If I Do (mx9104-A) and I Just Want A Daddy (mx 9105-B). Both were
released on Edison 51222 and 51224 respectively. Those two recordings were
reissued on the Frog's latest release "Stop & Bar" Rare and Hot Black Tape
recordings. FROG CD DGF79. However I just received the first title on
Rivermonts CD "The Big Broadcast, vol 4 with better sound quality than Frog.
After listening, I am prepared to say that I am convinced that the
clarinetist is Lorenzo Tio. But, in all honesty, I can only be sure that I
think it is he - I was not on spot. Are there any of you who have no idea
about this notion, for or against? Pirons band played in New York in the
spring of 1923, and returned to N.O in the fall of 1923.  I have seen
information that Tio did not join the band back to New Orleans but stayed in
New York. That has always confused me because he can be heard with Pirons in
"Red Man Blues" recorded in N.O.  But if he stopped, not 1924 but 1923?

Nils-Gunnar Anderby, jazz historian and record collector