[Dixielandjazz] YouTube postings

Jim O'Briant jobriant at garlic.com
Wed Aug 6 14:04:18 PDT 2014

Bob smith wrote:

>  I'm very grateful to people who take the trouble to film concerts,
> and ... post the results on YouTube.
>
> ... I get to hear and see bands that I wouldn't otherwise have the
> opportunity to experience.
>
> However, there is one small fly in the ointment, viz. , people who
> are filmed walking between the camera and the band.
>
> ... I would ask that the camera be placed higher, to avoid this
distraction.

I think the vast majority of the videos you speak of are taken by amateur
photographers who are fans of Trad Jazz. And most of the performances are at
dance venues, where the dance floor is directly in front of the stage. I
know this is the case with many of the videos of my band that are on
YouTube.

These amateur videographers are kind enough to share their efforts with the
rest of us -- and for the most part, they're doing it free of charge
(including filming time, editing time and upload time).. I don't think we
should have any expectation that they go out and purchase additional
equipment, just to raise the position of their cameras.

If we want to watch professional quality videos of trad jazz bands, then we
need to be prepared to hire professionals to produce them.

Jim O'Briant
Gilroy, CA
Tuba & Leader, The Zinfandel Stompers