[Dixielandjazz] Did King Oliver write "Sweet Mumtaz"?

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Sat Sep 21 13:27:34 PDT 2013

I wanna meet Mumtaz Sweet!

Our Mumtaz was, presumably, Mumtaz Mahal (but she must have been
sweet), the third wife of the emperor Shah Jahan; after her death, he
built the Taj Mahal as a mausoleum in her memory.

Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Did King Oliver write "Sweet Mumtaz"?
I am not certain that either of these comments have anything to add, but I
have seen the word Mumtaz often in lists of Klezmer tunes, so it may be an
adaptation of a traditional tune; and less likely -  Mumtaz Sweet has
worked at Nabada (Manager), studied at muqdisho and is from Muqdisho,
Banaadir, Somalia (according to Google ;-)

David Richoux

--Dick Baker
Working on an updated version of the Stomp Off Records Tune Titles
and Composers Index
See working draft at http://dickbaker.org/stompoff/index.pdf