[Dixielandjazz] "Territory" musicians?

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 09:52:41 PDT 2013

The first jazz festivals I attended Nice 1976 and 1977) presented mainly
American stars, accompanied, for the most part, by other Americans.  And if
there were British musicians, they were renowned international stars.
Local bands, if any, did not measure up to the stadnard of the former, with
one exception - the French Anachronic Jazz Band.
The first time I encountered more local talent was in 1982 in the Hague,
but even then, one of the bands was the Dutch Swing College Band.  But I
also had my first exposure to bands like the Scat Cats. In 1983, I heard
more local groups, but I elected stars again; for the first time I
encountered American stars accompanied by local bands.
The situation in Edinburgh in 1984 was similar, although there were quite a
few very good Scottish bands.  And the French Hot Antic Jazz Band, by then
already enjoing international reputation.
And then, in 1984, I went to Bude, Cornwall.  Wow!  True, I heard Cy Laurie
there, but, for the most part, the musicians were unknown to me.  And
fantastic.  Many bands from the south of England and from the Midlands, and
they proved equal to some groups enjoying international reputation.  I have
ever since considered George Huxley one of the world's best reedmen, in
particular - soprano saxophonists (those of you who read the Mississippi
Rag in those days might remember my report on that festival, which started
with "George Huxley!" as its first line).  Some of the bands were extremely
original, without getting out of the traditionl context.  Like the Bob
Oliver's Hot Seven, which featured two banjos doing what is usually done by
a piano.
Not that I would have thought of all that right now, had I not just
listened to the excellent "Chuck Hedges Swingtet Live at Andys'" on
Delmark.  I looked at the lineup and, other than the leader, didn't see any
name I've known!  Yet, it was a great band, with Duane Thamm (vibes and
chimes), Dave barry (guitar), John Bany (bass) and Charles Braugham
(drums).  Then it downed on me that there must be wonderful musicians
everywhere, but, because they play around their territory rather than
travelling, they are largely unknown anywhere else.  Some did play with
well known stars (according to the notes, Thamm, for example, played with
Sinatra, Henry Mancini, Barbara Streisand, Sammy DAvis Jr., Tony Bennett,
etc.), but became nearly forgotten once they settled down outside the Big
Apple.
Cheers