[Dixielandjazz] "Good Old Days"

Phil Wilking arnold.wilking at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 12 20:05:27 PDT 2013

"Good Old Days?" Hmmm, let's think a moment.

For most, that phrase connotes their grandparents' early adulthood, as they
imagine it. So, that's about 75 to 100 years ago, or - roughly - 1913 to the
middle of the Depression.

What did we have in 1913? Well, the Balkans were at war, as usual, but they
politely kept it to themselves. China was a rat's nest of feuding fiefdoms
of warlords, but what else was new? Latin America was another rat's nest of
coups and dictators, again, what else was new? The Russian Empire was as
ramshackle as ever, as was the Ottoman Empire. The last of the colonial
conquest of Africa had just been completed, with Germany the
Johnny-come-lately. And World War I would start in a year, complete with
poison gas, deaths in the millions, and the fields plowed, tilled, and
planted for World War II. New Orleans had just experienced a yellow fever
epidemic a year or two before, but Dr. Reed had finally proven that
mosquitos were the yellow fever vector, so mosquito extermination efforts
were beginning (barely).

In medicine, there was a vaccination process for smallpox, which was still a
world wide disease, and a treatment for rabies, IF you started the treatment
before symptoms appeared (the same as today). Aside from that, there was
Salvarsan for syphilis, and not much else in the way of "miracle drugs." At
least there were sterile operating rooms and ether, but operating for
appendicitis was a major procedure. Women still routinely gave birth at
home, where the cleanest thing in the house was the daily newspaper IF the
household received it, so the paper was spread under her and my paternal
grandmother STILL died of puerperal fever (childbed fever). Doctors made
house calls, but all of medicine was carried in that little black bag:
paregoric and laudanum (tincture of opium) for pain, syrup of ipecac to
induce vomiting, and tincture of iodine for antiseptic. Cocaine, opium,
morphine, and heroin were available over-the-counter at a pharmacy. You
prayed your children would get mild cases of mumps, measles, and several
other diseases while young, because they usually recovered and were
thereafter immune.
Polio was a feared annual summer epidemic, although not quite as feared as
later. Polio has been called a "disease of the clean," and the world of 100
tears ago, even in the best North American household, was a filthy place.

Thinking of "at home:" housework was a never-ending, all day, every day
business. No vacuum cleaners; no mechanical, much less electric,
dishwashers; no air conditioning (and fans were expensive); no electric
washing machines (READ the lyrics of "Coney Island Washerwoman"); no
electric refrigerators (Has any of you ever wrestled a block of ice into an
icebox, or had an icebox drip pan drain stop up and make a flood? I have.);
very little electricity of any kind, "electric light" meant single conductor
wires on drum insulators nailed to the rafters and a 40 watt bulb on a drop
cord from the center of the ceiling; cooking was on a "range," and has any
of us ever tried to use a wood or coal fired range? The range never went out
because it took too long to reheat, so the kitchen was the only warm place
in the house in winter, and a hell-hole in summer. Oh, that cabinet looking
thing raised above the body of the range at the back is not a spice rack, it
is a water heater, IF you had indoor plumbing, which was expensive, with the
sewerage dumped into a cesspool or (untreated) into the nearest stream.
No sanitary drinking water piped in, even with indoor plumbing. Intelligent
people boiled all drinking water, which often came from rain water cisterns.
You had to put a cheesecloth strainer over each tap to catch the mosquito
larvae, and some went so far as to put small fish in the cistern to eat the
mosquito larvae. (You just didn't think about the fish and mosquito poop in
the water.)
No radio, no television, no motion pictures as we think of them, no daily
bathing (see above about indoor plumbing).
Men, have you ever used a straight razor? I have; there is a reason the
British call them "cut-throat." King Gillette was only just beginning to
sell safety razor blades.
Ladies, have you read the ingredients of some of the "beauty" products of
the day? If you wanted to lose weight, you could buy tapeworm eggs in tablet
form. And they get worse.

In the public arena, a huge boost for union labor in general, and the
I.L.G.W.U. in particular, was the Triangle Shirtwaist Company fire in New
York City. Read up on it; it was not unique, merely better publicized than
most. It was this sort of thing which finally resulted in the beginnings of
public safety code enforcement. Without the trade unions, workers' safety
enforcement would have remained left up to those who had to pay for it.
Guess how well that works. Don't forget that R.M.S. Titanic had sunk only
the year before, with the loss of more than half the occupants, because the
Admiralty regulations did not require enough lifeboats to hold everyone
aboard. And no, White Star Lines never claimed it was "unsinkable;" some (as
usual) ignorant newspaper twit wrote that and White Star let it stand
without comment.

By the late 1930's there were sulfa drugs, and penicillin was under
development, along with several other drugs and vaccines. But penicillin was
restricted to the military during World War II, and the rest didn't begin to
come on line until the very late 1940's and 1950's. I still remember my
first injection of cherry red Salk polio vaccine in the early 1950's.

And so on.

With only very rare exceptions, these are the "good old days."

Jazz content: the "Jazz Age" was in this period. The doughboys had just come
back from saving the world and they knew it. They knew they could do
anything they put their minds to and their music shows that.

Phil Wilking - K5MZF
www.nolabanjo.com

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.