[Dixielandjazz] Who wrote "Slide, Frog, Slide"?

Dick Baker djml at dickbaker.org
Thu Sep 12 20:35:44 PDT 2013

We attributed it to Paul Barbarin on a Stomp Off CD, but I can't find
any real evidence for Barbarin.

Looks like it was first recorded on the Dukes of Dixieland's first
two LPs (and later their 10th, from Carnegie Hall in late 1950s),
then Papa Celestin in mid-1950s, by Barbarin band in the Jazz at
Preservation Hall, Vol. 3 LP in 1962 (with Frog Joseph on trombone,
presumably the subject of the title), by Joseph's own band in 1964, and others.

Does anybody have any of those early LPs that might have composer credits?

--Dick Baker
Working on an updated version of the Stomp Off Records Tune Titles
and Composers Index
See working draft at http://dickbaker.org/stompoff/index.pdf