[Dixielandjazz] Raymond Scott

Stan Brager sbrager at verizon.net
Sun Oct 13 12:03:44 PDT 2013

A few weeks ago, Raymond Scott devotees had an interesting discussion about
his music. Yesterday, in my local used CD store, I found a CD featuring
Scott's music by The Dutch band The Metropole Orchestra with the Beau Hunks
Saxtette. What was interesting is that they took arrangements of Scott's
music which were created for the Paul Whiteman radio show of the late '30s.
The arrangers were all on Whiteman's payroll and included Fred van Eps, Joe
Glover, Irving Szathmary, Roy Bargy, Russ Case and a few others. The
arrangements were performed from 1937 to 1939. They also included tunes
Scott had written but never performed by him on record. Even more
interesting were 2 arrangements of "Powerhouse". The first was done by Fred
van Eps and was 4:35 long - the other was by Joe Glover lasting 3:41.

The CD, on the Basta label was "The Chesterfield Arrangements 1937-38.
Catalog 30-9097-2.

Stan

Stan Brager