[Dixielandjazz] 3B`s

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Mar 10 13:32:01 PDT 2013

 Pat Ladd wrote:
> ...`Strangler on the floor`was written as a theme tune for a TV programme.
> It is rather like Wonderful World... both shmaltzy tunes which were never intended to be considered as anything approaching jazz.. They just happened to be recorded by jazzmen and by popular request were just absorbed into the repertoire of other bands which played jazz/swing .

Dear Pat,
Well said dear friend.
Jazz diehards tend to forget these things.
Our jazz can happily absorb these tunes, along with the many other examples.
Playing them doesn't diminish the band, it widens our audience base.
And its about time you and Wendy made a return visit to Sydney.
We can get Jack Wiard to play both songs for you as they are in 'our book' at the pub.
And always crowd favourites.
Thanks to Acker and Louis.
8>)
Very kind regards,