[Dixielandjazz] Kenny Ball RIP

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 15:04:17 PST 2013

Kenny Ball was extremely popular in the heyday of British Trad.  And
made a lot of extremely popular recordings in those days.
Still. his band played some great jazz.  His was the version of Snag
It I heard before hearing the original, and it is difficult to believe
that the poignant Snag It was recorded by the band that played "fast
and short" (Kenny Ball in a Mississippi RAg internview).  Also, Ball
introduced Japanese songs to jazz, as well as the (by now) jazz
standard "Midninght in Moscow" (in Russian it is Moscow Evenings).
We played a number by his band at tonight's jazz evening in his memory.
The only Beatles songs I know (save for "The Yellow Submarine" which I
know from the film) are those Ball played.
Blessed be his memory