[Dixielandjazz] FW: Louis and WAWW

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Mar 5 04:34:36 PST 2013

Gary wrote:
>according to the Wynton Marsalis PBS series 'Jazz', Armstrong could not
longer play the trumpet by this point and indeed what impressed everyone at
the time was how, despite being told by doctors he'd never play again, he
would release such a positive song.

Now, far from being an expert on Armstrong, this struck me as being strange.
Searched a bit on the net, and found this:
http://dippermouth.blogspot.com.es/2010/03/st-james-infirmary-november-14-19
67.html

Interesting reading, and there is a small clip at the end of the text with
Louis playing St. James Infirmary with great strength...in, apparently 1967.

I know, I know, it's just someone's blog, and I'm sure some of our fellow
experts can add much more...or dismiss it all.

I'd be interested in knowing whether it is true that he was only left to
singing by the time he recorded WW?

Jim