[Dixielandjazz] Louis' 1931 Star Dust (was Louis and WAWW)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 6 01:14:52 PST 2013

<alevy at alevy.com> also wrote:
>  Thanks to Mr. Schapp I now know that Hoagy Carmichael spent countless hours in record shops looking for the version with the 3rd matrix number. It was his favorite recording of Stardust at the time.

Dear Al,
I assume that the record in question is the Louis Armstrong Orch's version of "Star Dust" recorded for Okeh on 4 November 1931.
Four masters were cut, but only two of them, take -1 and take -4 were ever issued.
Take 3 was rumoured to be on a CBS LP, but turned out to be take -1 and has yet to surface, so far as I know.
Take -2 was listed by Brian Rust in his 'Jazz Record' discography, but this too appears not to have been found either.
It would be interesting to know if Hoagy ever found the elusive '3rd matrix number'.
Very kind regards,
Bill.