[Dixielandjazz] Kirkcudbright Jazz Festival

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Tue Jun 25 16:49:54 PDT 2013

Hi Marek et al,

The Kirkcudbright Jazz Festival is now over for another year, but I can thoroughly recommend it for OKOM followers if they can get there easily. It's too early to say how it turned out financially, but I can tell you the brewers can't have lost money on their involvement! The barman at the Town Hall venue was actually the head brewer at the brewery, so the ales there were in tip-top form throughout and certainly enthusiastically supported. The food in local hotels, restaurants, cafes and fish & chip shop was great and what I heard of the music was excellent too. When you're playing a festival, it can all go past in a bit of a blur: you're either playing, eating, resting, or catching up with old pals and sampling the local ales (usually simultaneously), so hearing other bands can be a bit incidental.  Over Classic Jazz Orch's 2 gigs, we played a eclectic mix of Morton, Bix, Louis, Oliver, Ellington, Bechet, Bigard, Waller, Fazola, Basie, Benny Carter, Savoy Sultans and even some Gerry Mulligan and Bob Brookmeyer pieces, so there was something for most OKOM tastes.

This coming weekend we're off to the Cleethorpes Jazz Festival in England to play a full concert of Benny Carter's  glorious music with good buddy and wonderful alto-saxophonist Alan Barnes as our guest. If we discount the 500 mile round trip, it should be great fun!

Cheers,

Ken