[Dixielandjazz] Kids and Okom

John Knurr manofmusic4u at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 15 08:51:19 PDT 2013

Regarding kids hearing our music - got to get band directors to learn the music and start bands in the schools. Jazz ensembles are great but don't lend themselves to learning trad jazz. The college music departments are no better. How is it done? Have no idea because the music teachers have not been exposed to the music either!. The trad jazz camps are the best in reaching a large number of kids - we need one in every state. And - though you put Taco's version of "Puttin on the Ritz" down you must listen to it for its clever arrangement and style. It was not intended to be authentic. There are little snippets of other tunes thrown in - good ideas. And  - at least it was "Puttin on the Ritz". John Knurr - Milwaukee (one of founding memebers of Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society)