[Dixielandjazz] Preservation hall Jazz Band (Robert Ringwald)

Robert Ringwald rsr at ringwald.com
Fri Jun 14 22:15:39 PDT 2013

Rick Campbell wrote regarding the preservation Hall Jazz Band:

Relative to Bob ringwald's post: "Perhaps they don?t have the money to attract better quality musicians. Or maybe they feel that having good musicians in the band doesn?t matter?"

There is an excellent history "Preservation Hall", by William Carter. (1991, Cassell). The book indicates that Preservation Hall was both a sociological and musical institution. Carter also  suggests that the touring bands, at least historically, have been very well paid.

Therefore there could be other selection criteria for the touring band, including personal economic need, or the maintenance of that certain "archaic" New Orleans style.

The great bass player Pops Foster who I was lucky to have played with and been able to call my friend once told me that, in the early days of Jazz In New Orleans, (And he was there) not every band was good. He said that there were a lot of bad bands that we hear today on records and think that is the New Orleans style.

Rick also writes:

Even though the Marsalis brothers are simple kids from New Orleans, it is worth noting that their musical skills kept advancing to a very sophisticated level, and they have made very good money in other types of music. Therefore, they would be automatically ruled out of playing at Preservation Hall, I think.

Oh, I think that if one of them walked into Preservation Hall and wanted to sit in, he would be welcomed with open arms. They are professional enough to know the style and play it.

-Bob Ringwald

Rick Campbell
Portland, Oregon USA
503-701-7356