[Dixielandjazz] Kids and Okom

Fuzzy fuzzymail at fuzzyjazz.com
Sat Jun 15 11:05:06 PDT 2013

John,

(Warning: Long post)

First - thanks for all you do for trad jazz!

I agree with most of your post (though I still very respectfully disagree
about Taco.)

My high school band teacher encouraged us to put together a little
"Dixieland" combo, and even let us perform in the various festivals, etc.
The group was always a big hit, but (as a clarinet player), I was always
admonished for the vibrato and smears...with a wagging finger, the judicial
board would tell me that it would ruin me.  It seems that it was beyond the
scope of their belief that a clarinetist might want to play something other
than classical music.

When I went to college, I was prohibited from playing early jazz whatsoever;
and I was forced to saxophone for any jazz functions.  (I'm sure this is
"normal.")  Time passed and I returned to college after a new "Jazz Studies"
program was created.  I was told that "Perhaps at this point in your life,
you would be better suited to switch to saxophone," and "While larger
institutions might be able to offer early jazz studies, we follow a more
modern approach.  If you want to follow the Benny Goodman approach, you will
need to do so on your own time."  (This from both the President of the music
department AND the director of the jazz studies program.)  No problem - it's
their program, and if they don't want to (or can't) offer early jazz, so be
it.

However, we were also forced to participate in self-formed "small combos"
for no credit.  I asked if I might form a trad group for one of these, and
was told, "NO!!!" in very clear bold face.  This bothered me.  I completed
that semester and left college lacking a diploma with a "Jazz Emphasis."

One of the ideas I've been kicking around is this (and I am interested to
hear from those who have done similar, or are in the education field):

I'm starting to chat with some of the local junior high/high schools in my
area in order to see if they would be interested in a presentation about
early jazz music.  If it works out, I'd like to spread such a presentation
throughout my state.  My idea is fairly simple...to bring along prime
examples (recordings), which could help showcase the progression of jazz
from popular music in the late 1890's to swing in the 1940s; also indicating
some of the defining musicians.  Perhaps playing a few examples on my
clarinet or whatever, and providing handouts of musicians/groups/tunes and
other resources which might help them further their research into the music.

Does anyone have any input to offer on this idea?  Would anyone want to
share any similar experiences with me?  Any suggestions on the best way to
do this?  Any discouragement about what I'm planning?  Feel free to offer
suggestions via private e-mail too.  My feelings won't be hurt, so please be
candid.

My entire state only has about 560,000 residents, so most towns/schools
would be extremely small.  I'm not affiliated with any band or organization
which could benefit from this endeavor, so I have nothing to sell.  I just
want to share early jazz with as many as possible.

(Light-heartedly offered:  Bring me ONE trad jazz musician who is brave
enough to admit she was brought into trad jazz by Taco, and I'll happily
change my opinion!)   :)  On a more serious note: I'm not knocking Taco -
I'm just questioning Taco's effectiveness in bringing kids to OKOM.

Fuzzy

John Knurr said:

Regarding kids hearing our music - got to get band directors to learn the
music and start bands in the schools. Jazz ensembles are great but don't
lend themselves to learning trad jazz. The college music departments are no
better. How is it done? Have no idea because the music teachers have not
been exposed to the music either!. The trad jazz camps are the best in
reaching a large number of kids - we need one in every state. And - though
you put Taco's version of "Puttin on the Ritz" down you must listen to it
for its clever arrangement and style. It was not intended to be authentic.
There are little snippets of other tunes thrown in - good ideas. And  - at
least it was "Puttin on the Ritz". John Knurr - Milwaukee (one of founding
memebers of Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society)