[Dixielandjazz] Sitting down

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Jul 9 14:02:09 PDT 2013

Bob Romans wrote:
>Those Spanish gals keep you in good shape I guess.CB7 never sat down to
play until we got older, like I'm 81 and standing and playing is out of the
question..Preservation Hall gets by with it, BTW!

It seems to me to be a new thing, this sitting down thing, and I think it
may come from musicians having seen the Preservation Hall guys getting away
with it. I never saw anyone doing it when I lived in the U.S. (which was
before Pres. Hall).

I saw Santo Pecora at the Famous Door in NO, The Original Dukes in Las
Vegas...in Los Angeles, the FH5+2, Teddy Buckner, Kid Ory, and gobs of old
guys that used to play at the Los Angeles Hot Jazz Club on Sundays at
noontime....one being Joe Darensborg.  Front line standing, always.

Our trumpeter is only 3 yrs younger than you, Bob, and he stands the whole
nite. I think it might have more to do with the Mediterranean diet than the
Spanish gals!   :>

Jim