[Dixielandjazz] Sitting Down

Ken Mathieson ken at kenmath.free-online.co.uk
Tue Jul 9 13:25:21 PDT 2013

Hi All,

Bob wrote:

"I once had a horn player call me and suggest that we pay the singer less because she only sang 3-songs per set. I told him that was a good idea. In fact, since the rhythm players play all the time and the horn players only part of the time, it would also be a good idea to pay the horn players less. I never heard another word on the subject."

In my band, the guys in the rhythm section reckon that horn players are people who failed the medical for the rhythm section: they couldn't play every beat of every bar of every chorus of every number all night long!

Ken Mathieson