[Dixielandjazz] "Straws & Stripes!" [Saturday...]

Steve Call Steve_Call at byu.edu
Wed Jan 30 10:15:19 PST 2013

My student band has worn very nice expensive ($100 each made in Italy) straw
hats at their performances for many years. We've been criticized at certain
jazz festivals for it, but the students love to wear them.

When ever it comes to a vote they always vote to keep wearing them, I think
out of a sense of irony more than anything. I expressed this to one of the
critics once and the he said "Irony? I don't get it." My response, "maybe
that's what is ironic about it."

Steve Call, director
BYU Jazz Legacy Dixieland Band

--
Steve Call, PhD
Professor of Music (Tuba, Euphonium, and Jazz Studies)
stevecall at byu.edu