[Dixielandjazz] Saturday - some thoughts

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 00:58:24 PST 2013

This discussion reminds me of the joke John Barnes (a British reed player)
when he starred at the Edinburgh Jazz FEstival with the Roger Nobes
quartet.  The quarted appeared in formal suits.  Barnes came on stage with
kind of Hawaii shirt and quipped: "I apologize for the band - they had no
time to change into my uniform."
Still, I admit that the Wallace Davenport band made great impression in
Nice when it came on stage wearing suits, while all other groups were
casually dressed - tee shirts, shorts, you name it.  But that band also
impressed with its sense of purpose at that mainlu jam session form
festival of pick-up groups, even if many consisted of real stars (such as
Vic Dickenson, Kenny DAvern, Bob Wilber, and more).
Cheers