[Dixielandjazz] Saturday - some thoughts

david richoux domitype at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 23:46:28 PST 2013

This thread almost takes us back to "Straws & Stripes!"

I have known Clint Baker since he was a sprout, and his band has played a
most authentic OKOM to a very appreciative worldwide audience for several
decades. If his band has chosen to wear whatever they want for
a performance (usually at a casual restaurant in Menlo Park where they have
played to huge crowds for many years) I have no problem with that. When
they play at Jazzfest New Orleans (one of a very few non-Louisiana bands to
be invited to the traditional stage)  I recall they wore a shirt and tie.

But really, in the long run, the idea of "dressing up for jazz" is not all
that big of a thing. If the music is right, most audiences will not care if
the band is not wearing matching clothes. I have been playing this stuff
for 40 + years - sometimes in "uniform" and sometimes not.

Whatever, but it really is not all that important! If we are trying to
continue the tradition to young musicians, I am not sure we need to enforce
a dress code.

David Richoux