[Dixielandjazz] George Gershwin estate vs Warner Music - HollywoodReporter, January 14, 2013

Jack Mitchell fjmitch at westnet.com.au
Sat Jan 26 14:26:30 PST 2013

> "But the plaintiffs say that more is owed through other failures such as
> using misleading
> royalty statements, failure to monitor the activities of affiliates and
> abandoning
> territories including Asia and Australia."

Despite the "free trade' agreement between Australia and the USA (which
benefits American media companies more than anyone else) George Gershwin's
music has been in the public domain in Australia since 1988. Unfortunately
Ira Gershwin's lyrics remain in copyright until 2054. Bloody ridiculous. My
reading of the Act is that recordngs or playing of George's music, without
vocals, would be copyright fees free, but no doubt there would be many
lawyers willing to assert that black is white.

Cheers
Jack Mitchell