[Dixielandjazz] Disavowing our Dixieland Roots

Jim Allen jim.allen at longhornband.net
Tue Jan 15 09:31:25 PST 2013

Now we know how Frankie Avalon and Pat Boone must have felt when they saw
Elvis, how Ricky Nelson and Elvis must have felt when they saw the Beatles
and the Stones, and how they felt when they saw KISS and Twisted Sister,
and , etc.  The style of music they played, and likely loved, lost the
attention of the fickle masses, always attracted by "something new."  Their
dollars go with them, unfortunately

Many of us enjoy, prefer, the old ways.  I can tell from the messages on
this list, you guys love this stuff, as I do, and more besides.  After a
lifetime of playing, I prefer Dixieland above all other styles.  Nothing
keeps your toes tapping like Dixieland!

I worked my way through high school and college playing tuba in polka bands
in the German-settled towns across Texas, a long, long time ago.  There
were quite a few bands.  All of us stayed pretty busy, playing the American
Legion halls, Fairground pavilions, SPJST halls from Dallas to Laredo,
Houston to San Antonio, filling the halls with big crowds every Saturday
night.  Polka bands from Wisconsin and Minnesota would tour during the
summer, drawing big crowds even on weeknights.  It is diminished over the
last 40 years or so to almost nothing, as the old time crowd passed on.
Their kids and grandkids have moved on to other more contemporary pursuits.

The Festivals have enjoyed a long run.  The purists want to keep things as
they were, but that attracts fewer and fewer ticket sales.  Change is
tempting, to keep the activity going, fill hotel rooms, t-shirts, CDs, etc.

The hey-day is behind us, and very little can reverse it.

Enjoy it, preserve it while we can and be glad.

Best

Jim Allen
Coronado, CA