[Dixielandjazz] Disavowing our Dixieland Roots

Rick Campbell ricksax at comcast.net
Tue Jan 15 05:52:48 PST 2013

Re: performing early dixieland classics vs pop tunes.

I can happily report that the JazzSea Festival at Sea has featured plenty of early jazz classics the past two weeks. For example, Stevedore Stomp (Grand Dominion in this case) and Mabel's Dream and Blue Bell (Buck Creek).

Alas, these complex compositions take planning and practice-- much more difficult than jamming on pop tunes like Avalon, as so many bands are prone to do these days. But they are musically interesting, and far more entertaining than the endless versions of Bourbon Street Parade, Lady Be Good, etcetera.

By the way, perhaps the finest early classic was performed last night by your moderator, Bob Ringwald, who knocked us out with a solo piano version of Sidewalk Blues. Jelly Roll Morton lives!

Bottom line: The multi-strain warhorses like South Rampart Street Parade take a great deal of work to prepare and perform. If we want to preserve the form, we players have to sit down and work them out, and present them with style and impact.

This music will hold its own if well-performed.

Rick Campbell
Onboard the Maasdam
503-701-7356
ricksax at comcast.net