[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Fwd: Support live jazz

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 05:12:53 PST 2013

 Hello,
On the 9th I reported attending an Even Christopher gig in Herzliah.
I have since attended two more. both at the Tel-Aviv Museum.  Evan
Christopher came as part of the Hot Jazz series at the museum.
Unfortunately, his seems to be the only "hot jazz" show in the series.
Anyway, even though there were very few changes in the repertoire, the
shows were different!  The last one, on the 11th, was probably the best of
the three I heard.  The accompanying group is a wonderful  Gypsy swing
band, and fit Evan Christopher like a glove!  Yaakov  Hoter, the leader and
the solo guitar player, swings hard and improvises well; despite all the
jokes, nobody talks when Oren Sagi takes a bass solo!  Alon Sagi, the
rhythm guitarist, is very good, and very likely to become a good solo
guitarist as well (he is in the  other group with which he plays - La
Moustache; not yet the same > standard as SdG, but getting there).  Shai
Selman on drums is a
swinger!  Usually a bot noisy, this time he was more subdued, keeping the
pulse going all the time.  And had some good drum solos, if those are your
cup of tea.  His playing was a bit noisy on The Mooch, but that
was the arrangement.
The programme was mostly less well known Bechet songs (mostly - because
they played Petit Fleur as well), plus some from the WWII repertoire of
Django Reihardt, when he had the clarinet player Hubert Rostaing with him
in the Quintette de Hot Club de France (a very good swing clarinetist,
worth seeking).  Of course, they also played Nuage.
For the Israeli public, Evan Christopher greeted us with "shalom," and said
"toda' (thank you) when applaused.

The one snag was that some people in the audience could not understand Evan
Christopher's talk; the lady next to me seemed to be simultaneously
translating it to her husband, but, judging by their reaction (and that of
other members of the audience)  when the band  played a better know song
(Petit Fleur, Nuage or - at the last concert - China Boy) seemed to
indicate that people did not quite get the tune titles, and apparently did
not understand the rest of his stories either