[Dixielandjazz] Disavowing our Dixieland Roots

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 14:20:00 PST 2013

Not being a musician, I wouldn't know.  "Stevedore Stomp" seems to be
played by many traditional bands.
Sure, I do realize that the "warhorses" have become such because of
their general appeal and easiness of jamming.  But they seem to have
ousted most of the traditional repertoire of the '20's.  And even the
Condon bunch repertoire of the '50' and '60's!

Last year I attended the Bude Jazz Festival (in Cornwall), and many
people who came back after many years of absence, caused by the
inclusion of more and more of so-called "modern jazz" and other tyoes
of music.  Of course, as one listmate remarked, I did not meet people
who did not come because the featival reverted to traditional
(including swing and a blues band or two).  But, since at first it was
announced that the festival would be suspended, many people probably
made other plans.  Next year, then, will be the real test.

In Israel, Jazz at the HArbour was discontinued.  They tried to change
it to modern, but failed.  The big arena in front of the Crusader wall
remained empty, whereas Jazz at the Harbour sold over 2,000 tickets
for each night, on Fridays reaching as many as 3,000.
Cheers