[Dixielandjazz] Set Lists and Political Correctness

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 13:07:57 PST 2013

> Also with regard to "racist" stuff in older tunes.  I don't know how many of you feel, but I am sick and tired of all the
> "political correctness" in today's world.

So am I Mike, so am I.  "Politicaaly correct" is a travesty of the
language, any language.  And difficult to catch up with, anyway.  Once
it was "blacks," then "African Americans," etc. etc.  Just an example
because you mention "race."
And that reminds me: many years ago an Israeli felietonist wrot about
the racist film "The Birth of a Nation," which he saw in the Negro
area of Los Angeles.
Cheers

  The music was written in a different time.  Maybe people were less
cognisent of "race issues," or maybe they just all got along better
than we do today.  I certainly don't see why any words to an old tune
should be changed to fit into someone's leanings today.