[Dixielandjazz] Set Lists and Political Correctness

vaxtrpts at aol.com vaxtrpts at aol.com
Mon Feb 11 12:37:24 PST 2013

 I certainly agree with Jim Kashishian when it comes to set lists and tune lists in programs - especially with regard to small group jazz.  I like to have a "to be chosen from" list in a printed program.  Most of us announce the music over the mic anyway.  I always make set lists out for gigs.  On the bottom there is a stock joke that is always there:

Be prepared for changes inthe set list or schedule -- due to:
big paying requests, lowpaying requests from important people, things coming from the management staff, orleader screw ups………………

Also with regard to "racist" stuff in older tunes.  I don't know how many of you feel, but I am sick and tired of all the
"political correctness" in today's world.  The music was written in a different time.  Maybe people were less cognisent of "race issues," or maybe they just all got along better than we do today.  I certainly don't see why any words to an old tune should be changed to fit into someone's leanings today.
There - I said it.  (And I stick by it......)

Mike Vax
Friends of Big Band Jazz, Prescott Jazz Summit,
Stan Kenton Alumni Band
www.mikevax.net
www.bigbandjazz.net
www.prescottjazz.com