[Dixielandjazz] Any tune can be a dixieland tune

Pat Ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 10 07:43:30 PST 2013

It is a Shotis (is that the way you write it in English?) >>

Hi Jim,
Schottische is what you mean. It is a fairly energetic Highland Dance . Like
most Scots dances is carried out  by a circle of dancers with set steps.
Like most Scots dances it is of the 2 steps forwards 2 steps to the side
swing your partner etc.variety.
I enjoyed dancing it during my mis spent youth along with the Gay Gordons
(you probably can`t have that now), Military Two Step,Sir Roger d` Coverly,
Square Tango, Moonlight Saunter.

I once spent New Year in a climbing/walking hotel in Scotland. Spying a
piano accordion in the receptionists office I enquired if there was going to
be a dance. On being told that there was indeed going to be a ceilidh I said
I wished I had brought my drum kit. We have a drum kit I was told so I spent
about 5 hours Playing this semi military beat music ( and a repeat
performance next day)  with a piano accordion, banjo/guitar and bass.
 I must say that I have never seen so much whisky drunk with so little
drunkenness in all my life. Everyone,  including small children, in full
Highland fig with kilts flying  and thick calved legs in woollen socks with
the ski an dhu stuck down them dancing as if they were possessed. There were
individual performances of highland Dances which would have won prizes at
any Gathering of the Clans.
Altogether a pretty special night and all the better for being entirely
unplanned.The drumming was pretty good too.

Pat