[Dixielandjazz] Any tune can be a dixieland tune

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Dec 9 08:53:07 PST 2013

While I don't go along with the "any tune" idea entirely (some tunes do just
not fulfill the requirements...good melody, decent chords), we do have a
number of songs made famous by non-dixie people such as Elvis, The Mamas &
The Papas, The Beatles, Ray Charles, Henry Mancini, etc.

Here's one none of you will probably know.  It is a Shotis (is that the way
you write it in English?) called Madrid (written by a Mexican composer!)
which is very popular in Madrid (naturally).  We take the main melody into a
dixie beat after doing the shotis part at the beginning.

"Madrid" was recorded last nite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCwjXM6zpX0

What A Wonderful World:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIWUFMEDruo was the
last song of the evening.  Nice audience participation.  A loud, but fun
gang of English girls came in toward the end of the evening...about 15 of
'em & stood along the bar (seen to the right of the stage).  They were the
main "vocalists".  They nearly drowned me out when I sang "Dream a Little
Dream of Me" earlier!

This is a snip of Tiger Rag where, if the audience is good, I do this little
"foot thing" which can be appreciated (or not!) here:
https://www.".com/watch?v=LVUVhZ5WqIk

All taken at the end of last nite at midnite in the center of Madrid.  That
was a Sunday, by the way.  Every nite is a party in Spain!   :>

Jim