[Dixielandjazz] alphonso trent

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Dec 4 19:14:16 PST 2013

Marek Boym wrote:
> Can you seriously expect everybody to be literate?

I believe that Robert was trying to be helpful.

> I'm referring to Trent's fist name, of course.  At least here, we should give credit where credit is due: Alphonso was my mistake, not theirs.

Dear Marek,
Was it your mistake?
Amazon says 'AlphonsO', as does the Jazz Oracle 8008 CD reissue that includes his recorded output.
However, your Historical LP No. 24 has (I believe) AlphonsE.
I no longer have my copy to check.
The labels for the original Gennett 6664 "Louder and Funnier" and "Gilded Kisses" have Alphonso.
Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a Gennett label photograph for "St James Infirmary".
His name was indeed Alphonso, and the spelling error (with an E) seems to go back to Brian Rust's 'Jazz Records' discography.

> I only tried to play St. James Infirmary on the Amazon site, and it sounded every bit as fast as on the LP.

In which case, I suggest that that is the tempo on the original Trent record, as it is the same as my Jazz Oracle CD.

I could not find the "Tea For Two" [t42] Robert was referring to in the following:

>> I can't be in very good form, I ought to recognise the other recording whose beginning can be listened to as a sample on amazon.co.uk and which is referred to as t42 by Alphonse (not AlphonsO) Trent.
>> 'tain't Trent anyway.

Very kind regards,
Bill.