[Dixielandjazz] Jim Cullum Jazz Band - Porgy and Bess

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 10:05:22 PDT 2013

A friend has lent me his old "Tailgate Ramblings."  Not that much there for
people who were not members of the Potomac River Jazz Club.  Nevertheless,
some interesting items turn up.  One of them - in the March 1988 issue - is
Floyd Levin's rave review of Jim Cullum's rendition of Porgy and Bess,
issued on a cassette.
Levin says that the recording, in addition to being "very rewarding to jazz
fans," would, "hopefully," be "revealing to opera fans as well."  I don't
know about the latter, but it certainly is an absolutely fantastic
recording!
My friend Donna obtained that cassette many years ago, probably round that
time.  Everybody loved it, and someone borrowed it and returned it after
some time.  Whe she wanted to play it again, the case turned out to be
empty!  Of course, it was not available in Israel anymore, but, when I went
to England, I promised to search for it.  I went to the Oxford St. branch
of HMV and looked for it.  Since I could not find it, I enquired with
staff.  They checked on the computer, found that it was out of print, but
also that they still should have a copy.  After some joint search it indeed
di surface - on CD.  Still sounds great!  And since the original recording
was apparently digital, the sound seems to be as good as the analogue
version.  A pity it has not been reissued!
Cheers