[Dixielandjazz] New - Old drummerless band

pcrums pcrums at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 13:22:07 PDT 2013

It has been both interesting and timely to read the postings on drums vs
drummerless these past few weeks.  After more than 40 year of creating jazz
with a drummer as part of the band, Natural Gas Jazz Band is now a sextet
with no drums.  Following the retirement of our long-time drummer, the band
decided to reduce the rhythm section to piano, tuba, and banjo.  That
decision may have been influenced in part by our banjoist, Carl Lunsford,
who was with Turk Murphy for many years and had been mentioned on this list
in regards to Turk’s Heidelberg recording.

 This list has also mentioned Carl’s vocals.  He is still doing great vocal
solos, one of which is a very soulful, poignant interpretation of Alcoholic
Blues.  You can hear a snippet of this on our website:  www.ngjb.com

 Click on “recordings & sounds” , then “Alcoholic Blues”  under NEW CD
SAMPLES.

 While on our website, check out our schedule at the following events
including:

April 27 - Motherlode Hot Jazz Party

May – 27 Sacramento Music Festival

July 13 - Cline Wine & Jazz