[Dixielandjazz] Ken Colyer

Glen Page glenpage at telus.net
Sat Apr 6 23:44:46 PDT 2013

Hello all,

This recent and interesting exchange re. Colyer goes to show  that there is
good music , in the ears or some , which is not so to others, and vice
versa.
To be upfront I totally agree with John Petters with the proviso that not
all tunes played by an artist necessarily meet the expectations of the
listener.The musician in question  can be rendered less than his/her true
merits by having non compatible musicians in the band.

I have some lovely music of Ken playing with Petters whose rhythm section
complements Colyer's  efforts,these  16 tunes were from 1985 just 2 years
before Ken's last recording. I will give a brief quote from the accompanying
notes. "Despite Ken being in the "winter" of his playing to me it is an
essential album to have. The fire may have been going out, but the embers
were still burning hot. What Ken lacked in his blowing skills, and
complicated by his apparent breathlessness, he makes up for in sheer
emotion.This is the man laid naked and raw, and you cannot be unaffected by
it."

The respect of Colyer by many New Orleans musicians as well as the
overwhelming support by European fans give credence to his abilities in his
chosen field of jazz. Certainly there are many that did not appreciate his
efforts but that does not mean his contribution to the field was
worthless.Different strokes for different folks.

Cheers, Glen Page.