[Dixielandjazz] Ken Colyer

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 23:31:55 PDT 2013

I agree re. BEchet, but Bechet is so dominant as to relegate the others to
a secondary role.  I also like the Bechet-Bunk Boston recordings, where,
due to the rather minimalistic lineup, Bunk is more prominent than on the
Blue Note sessions.
The early British rhythm sections, even that of the early Lyttelton band,
were a bit problematic.  Strangely enough, so were those of YErba Buena,
but there they seemed to be like that on purpose - the Yerba Buena were
professional swing musicians who tried to break away.  But, unlike you, I
don't really find that Stan Greig's early drumming was much better than of
the other drummers.  Ditto about the post-Barber Colyer.  I still find the
music of Barber more flowing than of Colyer, except for the first band,
Cheers