[Dixielandjazz] Ken Colyer

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Sat Apr 6 12:58:20 PDT 2013

I'm very surprised, Marek. Are you saying you prefer British Trad to New
Orleans Jazz? Do you regard the Bunk band as free wheeling - or the Mutt
Carey New Yorkers?

Have you heard the live version of 'Weary Blues' with George Lewis and
the Colyer band?

Not a perfect recording - the tempo accelerates drastically in the first
chorus (but the Geo Lewis Band often did the same). To my ears this
contains all the elements required in a jazz band. heat, excitement,
inner rhythms, to which Ken always referred. I don't hear any of these
in 'Capris'. Indeed the recording they based it on was Manone's - and
that did have all those elements.

IMO only bands achieved a real free-wheeling sound in the 50s - Ken's
circa 1957 and the late 50s Bilk band with Ron McKay. In both cases the
drummers were the key component.

Cheers,
John

--