[Dixielandjazz] Ken Colyer

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 13:17:10 PDT 2013

To the best of my knowledge, Bunk did not like the band forced on him by
Bill Russell.  I've heard Bunk in other settings, and liked him much
better.  The best of Bunk, to me, is on the GHB "Spicy Advice" album; I
find those with George Lewis moderately good at best (the GHB people claim
that all the shellack and the subsequent vinyl issues were pressed at a
wrong speed, something rectified on it's American Music CDs), wheras the
same band with Kid Howard in place of Bunk sound wonderful.
As to the specific question, assuming you mean the famous Bunk band (with
Lewis, Robinson, etc.), I definitely prefer the Mutt Carey's New Yorkers.
Also the recordings Bunk made with the Yerba Buena.  I could quote a few
others.
You can't teach an old dog new tricks, and this dog is quite old.  I still
remember the thrill of buying my first Bunk, and the ensuing disappointment
(it was with Albert Warner rather than Jim Robinson on the trombone).  It
did not compare with the George Lewis 10" on Esquire, featuring "Jerusalem
Blues" I bought sleeveless at Dobell's back in 1964).  I did not despair,
and bought one with Jim Robinson when I firs was one, and that one was
equally disappointing, unlike the GEorge Lewis' Blue Notes or "Kid Howard
at San Jacinto" on GHB.  I was only later that I was exposed to the
"real" Bunk Johnson - with the band he put up in New York, the Yerba Buena,
and then - the "Spicy Advice" album.
By the way, I love Wingy Manone, even if "The Isle of Capri" is not my
favourite Manone record.
As to teh other specific question - I have not heard George Lewis with Ken
Colyer.
Cheers