[Dixielandjazz] Louis Ford

Beth Schweitzer beth at portafortuna.com
Wed Sep 5 08:38:08 PDT 2012

If this has already been posted, I apologize. I'm on a road trip and
just saw it on Laura Leary's Facebook page and thought I should pass it
along...

Beth

--------------------------------------

Don't know if you all have heard, but Louis Ford (who was with us for
the 2011 Suncoast), lost his home, clothes, and instruments to the
flooding from Hurricane Isaac. If anyone has a clarinet lying around
gathering dust, I know he would be thrilled to be able to use it get
back to work.
At the moment, they are living in a motel north of their Louisiana home
(after having spent time in a shelter), but the water in the house is
still 4 ft deep. If you know him, you know he's a poodle owner, and his
5 poodles are in a shelter where he's only allowed 2 visits a day -
which I think is hurting him almost as much as having lost everything in
his home!

Contact me by either commenting on this post, or through my email
address: lauraleary at hotmail.com, if you have any thoughts on how we can
help this fine musician rebuild his life. The musicians who have played
with Louis, are sending him donations, but I'm sure there are a million
other things he could use - not the least of which are a clarinet, food,
clothes, and a place to stay while they wait for the water to recede.
I'm sure your kind words, and your prayers, would mean the world to him.
For Bob and me, living just a mile from the Gulf, it's a "there but for
fortune, go I" moment.
I hope to hear from some of you! Bob will pass any messages on to Louis.
Thank you in advance!!!

One person's reply also seemed appropriate to pass on:

Frank Grace
Llaura: I am in the process of collaborating with Lew Shore in producing
an article for the October issue of The American Rag. I talked with
Louis last night and he's back in New Orleans and made a sad and
dishearting visit to hs water-soak
ed home and not only th extensivedamage to hishome but the lost of his
cherished music, instruments and family momentos, such as his father's
photo album that contained irreplaceable photos of his father with Fats
Domino, Ray Charles and oher musical icons of the period. Louis is now
involved in extensive processing wih FEMA and his insurance company. As
you know, this is not a fast process and Louis will not receive closure
and funding for some time. In th meantime, he's trying to stretch his
meager financial reserves for motels and the support of his five poodles
that are with a New Orfleans-area vet. Yes, Louis needs all types of
help. Here's hoping our music and festival community will come forth and
help a musician who is entrenctched in the musical history of New
Orleans. Contributions can be sent to: Louis Ford, % Lynn O'Shea, 2428
Ursulines Ave., New Orleans, LA 70119-3432