[Dixielandjazz] Tuba Skinny

Graham Martin grahmartin at bigpond.com
Thu Oct 18 17:54:44 PDT 2012

G'day Marek,

I agree that it does not matter if it is specifically 'Dixieland'. I do not
see how you can call Tuba Skinny anything else but New Orleans Jazz. They
are from New Orleans, the play the original New Orleans repertoire with
tremendous authenticity and I am told that Shaye Cohn on cornet (also violin
& piano) is a third generation N.O. musician. The most important thing is
that they are part of a New Orleans jazz music revival that has been going
on down there since Katrina. They even seem to be replacing some of the more
funky sounds that have come from New Orleans in the last twenty (maybe more)
years and I have even seen them written about as the new "Dirty Dozen".

Shaye and Erika Lewis (vocals) are so beautifully in tune and bluesy. I love
them!

This young band are also taking their music to the world, touring Europe,
and came here to Australia earlier this year for the Sydney Festival.

We have waited a long time for this revival and Tuba Skinny seems to be
heading it up. More power to them!

Best,

Grah

Graham Martin