[Dixielandjazz] Earthquake McGoons Clancy Hayes

Oarkas oarkas at aol.com
Fri Nov 30 15:44:39 PST 2012

Yes, Frank Gazis was a friend of my dad's, and I became his friend as a teen ager back in the 60's. Even though underage, I'd go into bar area and talk with him, ask him to play a Greek song, and always enjoyed him very much.
He even gave me a cymbalum, when I told him I had been looking for one for a long time.
He was a great man and a great musician. One time, at his house, he and his wife told me a story. Apparently Orson Wells heard his cymbalum playing and loved it. He thought it would be a great sound for a movie he was making. But then it turned out the director had already gotten a zither player to play the music for "The Third Man!"

John

John Pappas

Sent from my iPhone