[Dixielandjazz] Where the girls are.

Phil Wilking arnold.wilking at earthlink.net
Wed May 23 17:57:10 PDT 2012

One thing which will get younger folks in is just what got their great-grandparents in in the 1920's while THEIR parents fulminated against the sinfulness of it all: play for couples' dancing with appropriate tempos and more than one rhythm.

You have to get one or two pairs started to act as "trail-blazers," and find a place to play which has room for it, of course. But once the "younguns" rediscover the art of "polishing belt buckles," they'll come.

Or, as I once described it to a teenage boy whose "Dancing? Me? Yuck!" reaction is typical: "Yeah, but with foxtrots and waltzes and such, you get to hold the girl - and even feel her up some - in public, AND her mother approves!"

Phil Wilking