[Dixielandjazz] Kid Ory live

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Fri May 11 09:09:55 PDT 2012

Louis Woodlanders wrote:
>Dear Jim, As one of the co-editors of www.kidory.com , I am always excited
when I hear of someone who's heard the Kid play live. Would you care to let
us know whatever you might remember of those gigs you attended at the
Beverley Cavern? Thanks in advance, Best regards from not so sunny Britanny

Well, writing from very sunny Madrid (well into the mid 90's today!), there
is not a whole lot to add to what I already said.  Many moons have passed,
of course.  I do remember the Beverly Caverns well, as it was my second home
for about a year.  It was small & not normally particularly crowed.  There
was Dixieland nitely, usually Teddy Buckner's Band (who I still have great
admiration for).

One of the nites, though, Kid Ory's band was scheduled.  I only remember the
two names, Ory & Mutt Carey. I don't remember who else was in the band.
Would have been 1959/1960.  I was thrilled to hear Ory, of course.  They all
seemed very old to me, since I was a kid, not The Kid, but just a kid.  He
would have only been about 74 then.

I do remember that the sets were extremely short, and the band made a
bee-line for the bar at every chance, to sit down.  (They did NOT sit down
on stage, which seems to be the mode these days for U.S. bands...something I
will never understand!)

I also remember that they played the melody line, before solos, twice at the
beginning of the song.  The first time through was at the level it should
have been, but the second time through they dropped an octave.  I gathered
at the time that it was a way of saving the chops, but don't really know the
reason.

I'm very sorry, but that is all I recall other than I enjoyed myself
greatly.  I'm pretty sure they played Muscat Ramble.

Jim