[Dixielandjazz] A new look at jazz from Israel, please read.

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Tue May 8 00:35:35 PDT 2012

Hi Glen,
Could you give more details?  I've never known that Document were made
here.  There was a cheap series of very good CDs, History, that were
manufactured here for a foreign company.  However, something must
havehappened to either the issuer or the manufacturer, because a few
years ago the whole series was available at a very cheap price, mostly
without the original jewel boxes.
Otherwise, very few jazz CDs are issued here, mostly compilations that
may appeal to non-jazz audiences.
However, there is quite a lot of jazz activity.  I am not at all
interested in "modern jazz," so I won't refer to that, but we have
three very active OKOM bands: New Orleans Function, Swing de Gitanes
(if you count Gypsy swing as OKOM - I do) and the veteran Isradixie.
In addition, there are  the Tel-Aviv Museum and Opera jazz series,
which usually feature at least one OKOM concert (we're expecting Evan
Christopher towards the end of the current series, with Swing de
Gitanes), listmate Larry's Dr. Jazz, and other less active bands.  Not
too bad for a country of about 7 million, including a large
ultra-religious minority that does not listen to music as a matter of
principle and certainly does not attend concerts or clubs, as it
practices gender segregation, and an about 20% Arab population which
hardly listens to jazz, although young Arabs do go to clubs and
discoes.
Cheers