[Dixielandjazz] Israeli Jazz

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun May 6 18:15:14 PDT 2012

On May 6, 2012, at 7:14 PM, Jack Mitchell wrote:

> It might interest some members - in 2009 the AUSTRALIAN JEWISH MUSIC
> ENSEMBLE recorded a jazz album (Jazzhead HEAD-116, Album title
> PAZIT) and the ensemble included a number of excellent jazz
> musicians such as Stephen Grant.
>
> No, I haven't heard it.
>
> Best wishes
> Jack Mitchell

Dear Jack:

That reminded me of a occurrence when I was playing at a Jazz Festival
in  Oregon in the mid 1990s. A gray haired couple wandered into the
room just as we finished our last number. They were not there for the
festival, but staying at the hotel. The woman came up to me as I was
packing up my clarinet and asked what kind of music that was. I said
people call it by various names,  classic jazz, Dixieland, trad jazz,
New Orleans Jazz etc. She said she had not heard that kind of music
before, and that she liked it.

She said they were Jewish and asked if I played any Klezmer. I replied
not really but on certain minor key tunes the clarinet sound can be
quite similar. "Yes", she said, we're here on vacation from NYC and as
we passed by, I thought it was Klezmer for a moment. "You know", she
added, "Jewish Jazz".

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband