[Dixielandjazz] Jazz History

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Sat May 5 18:51:12 PDT 2012

Hello Stan

A most interesting project! The "early New Orleans style(s)" is/are
missing on record because the tune is essentially a tin-pan alley dance
number. When viewed in chronological context, the Bessie Smith/Louis
Armstrong recording of January 1925 is an anomaly.

If you'll have time to consider early recordings, the following are
available on CD:

Prince's Band (the 1st recording), December 1915
James Europe's US Infantry Band, March 1919
ODJB, May 1921
WC Handy, January 1922
Jimmie Joy Maloney, October 1923

All the best,